Monday, September 29, 2008

Groceries, butterflies, and prayer

I have to confess that I am not an organized person by nature (those who know me well are laughing at this understatement). However, something magical happens when I begin to prepare for grocery shopping.  The result is a carefully organized list that allows me to do my shopping as quickly and efficiently as possible.  I say this to preface today’s story.  How do things go so terribly wrong?

As I shopped today, I attempted to make the food choices that would be healthiest for my family.  I pondered the cereals and selected that highest in fiber, lowest in sugar, and most delicious.  I even bought veggie corn dogs so that the kids can enjoy a yummy treat without all the extras that are bad for them.  Then as I stood at the meat counter selecting the chicken breast we would have for dinner, I noticed my sweet angel out of the corner of my eye.  What’s she doing?  I then realized what was happening and all I could do was  call on the Lord for strength.   She had leaned over and was walking up and down the meat counter, licking it!  One more time.  She was licking the RAW meat counter! I think I blacked out for a moment. 

The rest of the shopping trip was a blur.  During checkout, the sweet lady at the register questioned me about all the opened items in my cart.  I just pointed to the baby and continued loading the conveyer belt.  My spirit was broken. 

We were about to leave when our sweet customer service lady asks, “Is your daughter sick because her face looks sick?”  This brings me out of my fog.  I immediately think she has licked up some type of super germ that has quickly overtaken her little body (too much Dateline!).  I then look at her precious face and can only laugh.  You see, we attended a fabulous party this weekend that included face painting.  My angel was painted like a beautiful butterfly.  It appears that maybe we left the butterfly on a bit long and the result is an odd pink and blue mix that gives her a bizarre look that is somewhere between surprise and sickness. 

butterfly

My prayer for today is thank you Lord for our food, our family, and for face paint ‘cause it gave me a good laugh when I needed it.  Oh, and please spare us from the meat counter super germs! Amen.

7 comments:

Lorie said...

What a beautiful butterfly she is-
I hope she enjoyed the party and we didn't stain her face for too long!Thank you for being a life saver to me in more ways than one- you have the sweetest spirit and I've always loved you! Remember Tchula when you had Bubby Hair!You have a gift for writing and I always love your blogs. You really need to print them so you'll have all these sweet stories for them when they are older!
Thanks again and Love you!
Everyone who looks at the pictures from Saturday loves Ella's dress!
Be blessed!
Lorie

Life on the farm... said...

Aww, I said a quick prayer for her!... I like your stories too, we a have alot in common. When it happens to us, it REALLY happens...When my kids were little they took off all of the canned labels in my mothers pantry... she was well stocked. We always teased her about the big snow coming. It was around Easter, we left went home to LA. guess what the big snow happened that April, they had no electricity for 8 days, they heated up canned food on the grill, they just didn't know what they were getting. Fruit cocktail or chili.... they made a game out of trying to figure out what they were going to eat.... I think they talked bad about us for weeks...;0!

Valarie Lea said...

Oh my gosh! I think I would have totally freaked out. I would have been trying to get her to spit and try to get all the germs out! Oh my gosh that was awful. Bless both of your hearts.

MommyGirl said...

I just belly laughed and I am surprised that the kis did not wake up. Apparently if you wash it off within a hour or two then everything is ok. It took about three good scrubbing and 24 hours for the girls not to look like they had a virus. They were all precious. Thanks.

Brandi said...

Oh my word, only Ellie Mae! You poor thing, I bet you were for sure freaked out! I agree with Lorie you write so beautifully! I said a quick prayer, I hope she is okay. P.S. Love the butterfly!

Enjoy these days, they may put us in a daze but the memories will be wonderful way down the road!

Suzie said...

Im sorry thats too funny. My son loves to lick everything too. Its so so gross.

April said...

That sounds like a great grocery trip. That is why I think of grocery shopping sans kids as a treat.